Martinsburg
Roundhouse

Our Baltimore and Ohio Railroad C-1913 Caboose
It is believed that the first caboose was created in the 1840s, when a conductor for the Auburn & Syracuse Railroad converted a wooden boxcar into a rolling office. Over time, cabooses evolved to feature steel frames, porches, cupolas, bay windows, and comfort facilities like stoves, bunks, toilets, and desks. These iconic cars were typically occupied by conductors, brakemen, flagmen, and deadheads (railroaders moving from one assignment to the next). The Caboose provided shelter for crew at the end of train who were long required for switching and shunting, and to keep a lookout for load shifting, damage to equipment and cargo, and overheating axles. The caboose also served as the conductor's office, and on long routes included accommodation and cooking facilities. Cabooses were used on every freight train until the 1980s, when safety laws requiring the presence of cabooses and full crews were relaxed. Developments in monitoring and safety technology such as a lineside defect detectors and end-of-train devices resulted in crew reductions and the phasing out of caboose cars. The addition of the cupola, a lookout post atop the car, was introduced in 1863. Coal or wood was originally used to fire a cast-iron stove for heat and cooking, later giving way to a kerosene heater. Now rare, the old stoves can be identified by several essential features. They were without legs, bolted directly to the floor, and- featured a lip on the top surface to keep pans and coffee pots from sliding off. They also had a double-latching door, to prevent accidental discharge of hot coals caused by the rocking motion of the caboose. Tradition on many lines held that the caboose should be painted a bright red, though on many lines it eventually became the practice to paint them in the same corporate colors as locomotives. Cabooses have also become popular for collection by railroad museums and for city parks and other civic uses, such as visitor centers. Cabooses have been reused as vacation cottages, garden offices in private residences, and as portions of restaurants. Also, caboose motels have appeared, with the old cars being used as cabins. As railroad technologies evolved, cabooses eventually became irrelevant. Manual brakes were replaced with air brakes, and radios eliminated the need for flagmen. Government regulations reduced the number of hours that freight crews could work in succession, and thus railroaders no longer slept in the caboose during their shifts. The iconic red caboose eventually disappeared from the railroad altogether. Today, they are only used on trains that transport high-security freight, such as nuclear waste.
A History of our C-1913
November 1925: Built new at B&O Shops, Washington, Indiana (B&O Class I-5)
August 1934: Concrete floor applied for heavy duty pusher service; Wheelbase extended 4 feet for heavy duty pusher service (new class I-5D)
April 5, 1951: Assigned to service between Grafton and Cowen, W.Va.
October 3, 1952: Assigned at Grafton
July 1953: Brakes improved to “AB” type
August 18, 1953: Assigned to service, Clarksburg to Benwood, W.Va.
January 22, 1954: Assigned to pool service between Parkersburg, W.Va., and Grafton
March 1, 1954: Assigned to pool service between Parkersburg and Grafton
February 10, 1958: Assigned to pool service, Grafton to Salem, W.Va.
December 1, 1965: Assigned at Cowen as a rider car for work train service
January 1, 1969: Assigned to trains 50/51, Grafton to Gassaway, W.Va.
June 18, 1971: ACI plate added at B&O shops, Chillicothe, Ohio
June 1971: Car refurbished, painted yellow, B&O shops, Chillicothe
July 22, 1974: Car in service, Parkersburg assigned to "Viscose Turn" (Editor's Note: American Viscose Corporation closed in 1974)
September 28, 1974: car in service, Parkersburg
December 7, 1974: car in service, Parkersburg
March 14, 1974: car in service, Parkersburg
October 1977: Car retired, sold to John C. Parkin; used for Pat's Dog House, 1033 Virginia Avenue, Hagerstown, MD (food business).
April 4, 1979: Creditor's sale for Pat's Dog House where caboose housed equipment.
Unknown Date: Relocated to McDonald's restaurant, Winchester, VA
July 19, 2001: Caboose transported to the Martinsburg Roundhouse
October 2025-January 2026: Caboose undergoes preservation, restorative treatment project as part of Eagle project by Nathan Johnson.
Caboose service record from 1925 to 1977 compiled by Dwight Jones on January 14, 2026
.jpg)